Popular Posts

Friday, July 22, 2011

SOCIAL NETWORKING


Social Networking
Hello: I am back with my new blog on Social Media. Sorry for the delay, but was thinking of a topic, which is of interest for everyone.
Well, a couple of days ago, I went for an interview. I was amazed when the interviewer asked the first question "are you on Facebook"? I was expecting something else like; tell me about yourself, or speak about your resume? I was mum for few seconds and said: "yes off-course" more than 41% of the Americans are on either on Facebook or any other social networking site (I remembered it from the article which I read couple of days ago). I did not get the job, but I discovered that social networking also plays a vital role in placements these days.
Friends, family, professionals everyone can be found on these social networking site. Of course it is great to catch up with old friends from schools and colleges, and friends you thought you had lost touch with. But do you ever pause to consider the fact that your information can be used for any other purpose than just looking up for friends? If you want to know more about a girl/boy, just go to their facebook account and you will come to know about their friends, relatives, habits, pictures and a lot more what you can't discover from your sources. Companies are through social networking site like facebook, myspace account to know more about an employee and their future prospect. Interviewers, recruiters after reviewing resumes, if found appropriate go to these networking sites to know more about an employee before recruiting.
So does that mean should we have two accounts or delete it? According, to my trivial knowledge, we all want to know what our friends and family are doing around the globe, but instead of being too personal on these networking sites and posting comments/ pictures or any other derogatory remark, we should try to avoid, and change. I believe that our privacy is being infringed by the recruiters and all other people with whom we don't want to share our personal stuff, but then too they are trying to poke their nose. I would advise people to make sure that they have minimum "required" information on Facebook. Your emails, your phone numbers and your pictures are something that should be personal and not shared.
Although these networking site have helped us in getting back our lost friends and family, but the fact still remains the same that our information is being shared and is not safe. As we know there are two aspects of a coin one positive and other negative. So, no matter how strong facebook or myspace claim their privacy settings, but still they have loophole.

No comments:

Post a Comment